we love to have granola around all the time at our house. we eat it for breakfast, midnight snack, or anytime on top of yogurt. since Hubby is gluten free i’ve found that it’s most cost effective to make my own rather then buy the gluten free versions of the expensive stuff.
the little miss loves it too. she also loves helping me to make it and thankfully it’s super easy to make! today i thought i’d share the recipe with you!
basic granola recipe
- 4-5 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup of chopped nuts: almonds, pumpkin, walnuts, peacans…anything you like.
- extras: flax seeds and/or chia seeds
- spices: depending on taste, 2 teaspoons- 1/2 a tablespoon of each ground ginger and cinnamon
- 1/4 cup maple syrup or honey
- 1/4 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 2 egg whites beaten
- 1 cup craisins or other dried fruit
Mix the rolled oats with nuts, extras and spices. Add the maple syrup/honey and oil. Slowly fold in egg whites(this is the secret to crunchy clusters!). Spread on a large cookie sheet. Bake at 325 for 30 min turning every 10 min. Let cool- it needs to sit all day and maybe even over night to get nice and crunchy. The next day put it in a ziplock bag or container and mix in dried fruit. enjoy!
enjoy! let me know if you make it!