confession: i’m a slow-processor type…which means when i’m mad it takes me FOREVER to put into words why. or when i’m sad…or even to be happy about something. i mean, i’m one of those people who when someone says something rude, i will mull things over in my mind FOR.DAYS. while trying to coming up with a good comeback. it usually manifests itself in fights with Husbuddy… hee hee… he has learned to get over the shock when i start the conversation with something like, “you know, you really hurt me the other day when… or …i’m still upset about that thing that happened last week, can we talk about it?” let’s just say, i’m a little slow.
ANYWAY, now that we’ve gotten past that embarrassing revelation, when Husbuddy was asking me all spring as we started this process, what it was i wanted in a house…i had a hard time putting it into words.
then one morning i had a really long time to sit in a coffee shop and think. i was really stressed about about a million other things, so naturally, i distracted myself by writing down my “what i desire for our future house” list. it actually turned more into a manifesto or a purpose statement for our home.
needless to say, it was a little different then what Husbuddy was asking. but it’s from my heart. and i thought i’d share as we are in the middle of the process of moving.
my heart’s desire for our house:
- i desire that when people walk through our door they feel God’s presence and it is evident that this place-this building- is just our temporary home. our HOME is in Heaven with Jesus, praising Him.
- a place that is big enough to host others, to welcome all people who need a place to stay, and speaks to the peace of God to everyone who enters the door.
- a place that is open with light-filled rooms that are cozy enough to grow as a family, to spend quality time together and with God.
- a place that we can play with & work on & work in. i need a space for working on art and architecture and i want to be able to have a house with character and work to give it even more character and love through out the years. i want to create a beautiful place with this gift that God is giving us: a house.
- and finally, a place where our children, family and marriage can flourish and grow in Christ and in beauty. a place that is safe and encourages our love and hearts can grow in Christ.
- it is just a place, but may it be a place where our lives can glorify God in everything we do.
how’s that for super sappy and over the top? ha! but it was a good little exercise for me to think about a “purpose statement” if you will, of THE.MOST.EXPENSIVE.THING we will ever buy.
it was good to think about how i don’t just want a house for me; to feel cozy and to be safe and secure. because ultimately, a house doesn’t provide that. sometimes we think it will. but it’s important to remember that this house is a gift. it’s God’s gift to us and He has every right to take it away at a moments notice.
so, as i thought through my dreams for a house, i thought about how much i wanted to glorify God in every little square inch of this new place. i don’t know how that’s really going to happen. but we pray that God will use it and bless it and be glorified in it.
what about you? have you ever made a purpose statement of your house? have you thought about your dreams and what you want out of your home? i’d love to hear your thoughts because yours are probably way better than mine!